Saturday, January 16, 2010

reusable shopping bags

With another one of my frequented stores charging for bags, I decided it was time to use some of my fabric stash, and make some bags. The fabric has been in my stash since at least 1999, has completed 3 moves, hightime it is used. Tutorial for the bags and photo's when they are completed.



Tutorial:

Cut 2 pieces of fabric 16"x19"
Put wrong sides together and sew 3 sides (leaving 1 short side open) with a 1/4" seam
now turn it inside out, press and sew the same 3 sides again with a 1/2" seam.

Cut 1 piece of fabric 4"x24", fold right sides together and sew with a 1/2" seam long edge and one short edge. Turn the tube to right side and cut in half

Pin the handles in place hanging outside and towards the bottom on the open end of the bag, fold top edge over 1/2" and repeat with a 2nd 1/2" fold, sew in place - I used a 5/8" and a 1/4" hemming stitch for added durablity.

1 comment: